Cold and cough can make you feel helpless if you have to wait to subside your cold and respiratory congestion. Some natural remedies can help you alleviate your discomfort. Essential oils for cough are a potential remedy which you can apply directly to the skin after diluting or you can use a diffuser to diffuse into the air. Natural remedies to help you deal with a cough is described below:
- Throat and chest massage:
You can use the combination of frankincense and cedarwood oil to massage your throat and chest to get a positive result. Some other oils which help to open the airways are cypress, peppermint etc.
- 1. Natural cough remedy: Massage essential oils onto the chest area after diluting them.
- 2. Sore throat remedy: Rubbing a mixture of essential oils directly onto the throat after diluting them can be also helpful. For this purpose, you can begin with the base of the ear and then continue towards the downward. For better result, you can use them three times a day.
- Sinus massage:
Sinus congestion can lead to a headache which can be really uncomfortable. To get rid of nasal congestion, you can gently massage cedarwood or tea tree essential oil near the nostril keeping in mind that you avoid eyes and mucous membrane. For a runny nose, you can use lavender or peppermint essential oil to massage near nostril. These oils have a nice fragrance as well. Using these oil before going to bed helps to get a good sleep.
- Steam inhalation:
Hot shower soothes air pathway by moisturizing and losing mucosa. But you cannot relieve sinus by staying in the shower. You can use the steam bowl.
- Treating congestion, sore throat and sinus headache: In a bowl of steaming water, you have to give 3-12 drops of lemon, lavender and lime oil. You have to inhale the steam.
- Treating cough and post nasal problems: You have to add 3-12 drops of lavender, cedarwood and peppermint oil to a bowl of steam water. You have to inhale the steam by putting your face directly above the bowl.
- Direct essential oil inhalation:
Suppose you cannot make an arrangement of steaming water. What you can do is apply drops of lime lemon or peppermint oil to a piece of cloth and then inhale from that cloth. You can follow this three times a day to get the most benefit.
- Calming bath:
A warm bath with essential oil is what you need when you feel devastated because of sickness. Simply add drops of oil to bath water and use that water. For this purpose, you can use lemon, lime, thyme, Lavender and geranium.
- Warm liquids:
Using heat to treat cold can be really comfortable. After rubbing diluted essential oil, relax by breathing in the aroma. Then have a warm drink such as apple cider vinegar with honey.
Apart from these remedies, taking proper rest and healthy food can speed up recovery and boost your mind.